Andrew Weir’s novel The Martian could have been a terribly bleak affair—after all, it begins as the protagonist realizes he’s stranded alone on Mars. However, it’s shot through with an unexpected wit that adds some fun to the book, so it’s great to see that Ridley Scott is preserving that tone for the film adaptation. A helpful Redditor posted this doodle from the cover of his script, and, as you can see, Ridley is trying to keep the mood light. Plus, Matt Damon seems to be having a great time with his Mars Rover. (That guy loves being by himself on planets!)
Morning Roundup brings you opinions on who should win the Iron Throne, short stories that will change your life, and a Vincent Price speech that will make you cry.
- In further Mars news: Mars One is a scam. But, Mars One is not a scam?
- The Game of Thrones cast has a lot of good ideas about who should win the Iron Throne. Nice one, Bran.
- Want to read some of the best short stories ever written? Here you go!
- Designer-of-awesomeness Lauren Panepinto talks about creating SFF book covers.
- The first ship on this list of TV Spaceships You Would Live On For Real is the Satellite of Love so we didn’t even look at the other entries.
- We would also be totally cool with Kelly Link throwing cake at us.
- Anyone going to Japan? There’s a Haruki Murakami walking tour you might appreciate after a long period of malaise and self-reflection coupled with the slow realization of how your actions effect the people around you. If you don’t end up abandoned at the bottom of a well by the end of the tour, you get your money back.
- Here is more proof that Vincent Price was one of the finest humans to ever walk the Earth/scare the hell out of you at parties.
- Escape to Witch Mountain is turning 40. But you remain ageless. Ever ageless.
- LEGOS + DINOS.
- A visual essay on Akira Kurosawa’s use of movement: