DIY is a new educational program that encourages kids to learn new skills on their own. And not just regular skills like building fires or tying knots, or proficiency in archery or bugling—these merit badges, designed by Isaiah Saxon, celebrate things like engineering darkness, creative use of tape, and being a Yeti. But the best, obviously, is the merit badge you get for being a Rocketeer. This is even better than becoming an Eternal Scout. [via Boingboing!]
Morning Roundup brings you a report from the sequel to The LEGO Movie, a ranking of the cinematic oeuvre of one Mr. Tim Burton, and wacky religious art from R. Crumb!
- News on the direction of The LEGO Movie 2!
- Looking for more YA fantasy? You’re in luck!
- A ranking of Tim Burton’s films!
- Jim C. Hines talks about politics, science fiction, and the combination of the two.
- The Island of Dr. Moreau is a fascinating film, and has yielded a fascinating documentary.
- Space balloon is our new favorite way to go slip the bonds of Earth!
- James Gunn talks about superhero-shaming.
- R. Crumb illustrates Philip K. Dick’s religious experiences, and we all benefit.
- The cast of Frozen remakes the blood-test scene in John Carpenter’s The Thing! Um, spoilers for The Thing.