The second annual RIPTcademy Awards Parody Poster contest has led to some incredible entries mashing up all of this year’s Oscar-nominated films with beloved geeky properties—compare them to the originals. Even better, you can buy prints of Doug Funnie haunted by his past as Quailman, Canadian Mercenary (boom, Deadpool movie poster already made), and Doctor Strange in The Illusion Game.
Afternoon Roundup wants to know why blockbusters are obsessed with corn; whether grimdark is grimdead; and what happens when you search “short” on Netflix.
- Corn is the secret ingredient!
- Kameron Hurley, Joe Abercrombie, and other authors on whether grimdark has had its “peak grit.”
- HBO will have the opposite of a Casual Vacancy in its schedule this April.
- Julianne Moore chews scenery and turns into a dragon in Seventh Son—here’s everything you need to know about this WTF movie.
- Delving into Netflix’s Lynchian darknet of short content.
- You don’t want a Batman action figure—you need an Adam West action figure.
- But while you’re at it, dive into the world of custom figurines.
- It’s out with the new and in with the old (and cloning, and time travel) in this short film narrated (in rhyme, no less) by Patton Oswalt: