We are thrilled to announce the 2014 edition of Some of the Best from Tor.com, an anthology of twenty-six of our favorite short stories, novelettes, and novellas, selected from the seventy-plus stories we published this year.
Of course, you can always read these—and all other—Tor.com stories for free whenever you’d like, but starting today they will be available world-wide as a single, easy to read, free mini ebook. This offer is immediately available for Kindle, B&N NOOK store, iBooks, and other online retailers.
These stories were acquired and edited for Tor.com by Ellen Datlow, Carl Engle-Laird, Liz Gorinsky, David G. Hartwell, Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Peter Joseph, Marco Palmieri, Paul Stevens, and Ann VanderMeer. Each story is accompanied by an original illustration.
Note: The free ebook download offer has expired as of January 1, 2016
Some of the Best of Tor.com 2014
Table of Contents
- “As Good As New” by Charlie Jane Anders (Short Story)
- “The End of the End of Everything” by Dale Bailey (Novelette)
- “Mrs. Sorensen and the Sasquatch” by Kelly Barnhill (Short Story)
- “Sleep Walking Now and Then” by Richard Bowes (Novelette)
- “Daughter of Necessity” by Marie Brennan (Short Story)
- “Brisk Money” by Adam Christopher (Novelette)
- “A Cost-Benefit Analysis of the Proposed Trade-Offs for the Overhaul of the Barricade” by John Chu (Short Story)
- “The Color of Paradox” by A.M. Dellamonica (Short Story)
- “The Litany of Earth” by Ruthanna Emrys (Novelette)
- “A Kiss With Teeth” by Max Gladstone (Short Story)
- “A Short History of the Twentieth Century, or, When You Wish Upon a Star” by Kathleen Ann Goonan (Novelette)
- “Cold Wind” by Nicola Griffith (Short Story)
- “The Tallest Doll in New York City” by Maria Dahvana Headley (Short Story)
- “Where the Trains Turn” by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen (Novella)
- “Combustion Hour” by Yoon Ha Lee (Short Story)
- “Reborn” by Ken Liu (Novelette)
- “Midway Relics and Dying Breeds” by Seanan McGuire (Novelette)
- “Anyway: Angie” by Daniel José Older (Short Story)
- “The Mothers of Voorhisville” by Mary Rickert (Novella)
- “Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden’s Syndrome” by John Scalzi (Novella)
- “Among the Thorns” by Veronica Schanoes (Novelette)
- “The Insects of Love” by Genevieve Valentine (Novelette)
- “Sleeper” by Jo Walton (Short Story)
- “The Devil in America” by Kai Ashante Wilson (Novelette)
- “In the Sight of Akresa” by Ray Wood (Novelette)
- “A Cup of Salt Tears” by Isabel Yap (Short Story)
Creating this short list was a very difficult process. To see all our original fiction publications, please visit our prose index. I would like to thank our authors, editors, artists, and readers for making this a fantastic year of fiction for us.