Happy Halloween everybody! This amazing pumpkin was carved by Mike Matola, and contains the complete text of the Rosetta Stone. He’s used to intricate work—he also creates portraits of artists and movies using only the artists’ words with the Line By Line poster project—but this is an extraordinary feat of carving!
Morning Roundup is possibly a little too excited about Halloween! Below you will find dozens of terrifying horror films, weird fiction, thoughts on Poe, and an exploration of a non-Euclidian city!
- Spoiler alert: here are 20 horror movies where most of the characters make it out alive. Not everyone survives these.
- And here is some of the greatest VHS horror art!
- On the plus side, this does sound like an epic haunted house.
- This link is from last year…but we can’t pass up the chance to share The Toast’s even-creepier Giving Tree.
- Jeff VanderMeer takes us on a breathless tour of weird fiction!
- Halloween never quite went as planned on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, but nevertheless The Hairpin has managed to compile all the treats.
- Because it would be hard to quote a writing desk.
- Neil Gaiman will not rest until he has adapted every fairy tale! Here he is talking about Hansel & Gretel.
- Guy Gavriel Kay discusses Tolkien and false starts.
- What were R’lyeh’s city planners even thinking?
- And finally, Laughing Squid found a squirrel who clearly wants to defend himself against the spirits of his ancestors: