Two down… four to go! Following the example of his fellow Avenger Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr. took to Reddit for an AMA thread. (The rest of the Avengers will surely follow.) And while RDJ was promoting his new movie The Judge, he still let slip plenty of geeky intel and insights. Find out if he was actually serious about that Iron Man 4/Mel Gibson quote, which TV series he might be working with in the future, and if Avengers: Age of Ultron will one-up that shawarma scene.
No surprise, Downey got plenty of questions about his alter ego, Tony Stark. When one fan asked how the actor retains his identity after playing Stark for six years, he gave a wonderfully thoughtful answer:
The first Iron Man was essentially wrapping the character around a cooler version of “me.” As we’ve gone along, I’m starting to wonder who’s playing who, and I’m glad there are so many talented new people in the Marvel lineup. Ultimately, I’m real, and he’s not. It’s kind of important for me to remember that.
Last week, the Internet had a minor blowup over an odd quote Downey gave to Deadline about whether Mel Gibson should direct Iron Man 4 (which is up in the air due to contract negotiations). In clarifying the quote, he may have hinted at an upcoming announcement:
It was an offhanded remark to a journalist and friend. I have other projects in mind for Mel and I—sooner than later the Marvel Roster will be made public and all questions will be answered.
Could Marvel be filling more of its programming slate for the next five years? Will we get a straight answer on Iron Man 4?
In the meantime, Redditors wanted to know if we’ll get something as random and lovely as The Avengers’ shawarma scene in the next movie:
I remember shooting that shawarma post-credit scene, and having just finished Avengers: Age of Ultron, wondered how we’d beat it. Joss says “The way to win is to not try.”
- About half of his Tony Stark one-liners are ad-libbed.
- Could RDJ be getting involved with Doctor Who? “A writer asked me to watch a particular episode about a month ago,” he said, “in hopes of helping us break story on a project.”
- He’d be down to swing by Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this season, but there might be “a fair amount of red tape” keeping him from doing so. But he loves Clark Gregg!
- He once ran into a little boy in a Captain America mask, and Downey Jr. was the one who got the most excited, aww.
- His son loves Hawkeye!
- He says we’ve dropped the ball in space exploration over the past 40 years, and that it’ll take a big technological leap to get us back out there.
- There is a Sherlock Holmes 3 in development, which they’re trying to make “the best of the series.” He’s also got “such screen envy” for Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock.