While New York Comic-Con doesn’t kick off until October 9, you can get in the mood early with New York Super Week! This first-annual pop culture festival runs from October 3rd-12th, with panels, parties, screenings, and much more in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Even better, you don’t need an NYCC pass to enjoy the festivities.
Check out some highlights, including a reunion of the Star Trek: The Next Generation cast (moderated by William Shatner), an erotic Watchmen fanfiction competition, and DJ Hodor’s Rave of Thrones!
Monday, October 6th to Friday, October 10th
10am-6pm Comics at Columbia: Past, Present, Future
Comics have a long tradition at Columbia University, going back to the 18th century. This exhibition will showcase some of the treasures of the Rare Book & Manuscript Libraries’ comics archives, both old and new. Come visit the RBML gallery between October 6, 2014 and January 23, 2015, and join us for our grand opening event and reception on Tuesday, October 7th, 6 PM, in Butler Library, Broadway and 114th Street. (Columbia’s Butler Library)
Tuesday, October 7th
- 7pm Macmillan Audio Presents: Science Fiction Audiobook Narrators Live! Join the audiobook narrators of your favorite science fiction books (many of whom are stage and screen actors as well!) as they discuss the craft, demonstrate their work, and launch an interactive discussion about the roles of books and audiobooks in today’s sci-fi universe! Hear from Sean Runette (narrator of Andrew Fukuda’s The Hunt trilogy); Katherine Kellgren (narrator of Frank Herbert’s Dune books, the Rick Riordan Kane Chronicles, etc); Emma Galvin (narrator of Veronica Roth’s Divergent series, and Josephine Angelini’s upcoming Worldwalker series). Moderated by bestselling author Jonathan Maberry, author of Ghost Road Blues, Rot & Ruin, and the young adult novels Dust & Decay and Flesh & Bone. (Barnes & Noble Upper East Side)
- 8pm ShipwreckSF & Word Bookstores Present Alan Moore’s Watchmen for New York Super Week! Good theatre for bad literature? Marital aid for book nerds? A literary erotic fanfiction competition for the ages? Shipwreck is all of these things. Six Great Writers will destroy one Great Book, one Great (Watchmen) Character at a time, in service of the transcendent and the profane (and also laughs). Marvel as beloved characters are plucked from their worlds and made to do stuff they were never meant to do in places they were never meant to see. All Watchmen fic will be recited by the voice of Welcome to Night Vale, Cecil Baldwin, both to preserve the majesty of the written work and to ensure the honesty of the audience when voting for a winner. You choose the best Ship, and the winner will be will be cast off from polite society. Featuring smut from: Naomi Novik, Kevin Avery, John Scalzi, Sarah Maclean, Kate Leth, and Gatsby Shipwreck winner Jeffrey Cranor. Special performance by Choirfly, New York City’s premiere nerd-themed a cappella group. (The Bell House)
Wednesday, October 8th
- 7pm The Story Collider Does Science Fiction! Science—and science fiction—surround us. Even when we don’t notice it, science touches almost every part of our lives. At the Story Collider, we believe that everyone has a story about science—a story about how science made a difference, affected them, or changed them. Come hear five true, personal stories about science and science fiction for this special show part of New York Super Week. Hear from Superman writer Josh Elder, sci-fi blogger Ryan Britt, and Amy Reeder, the artist behind this year’s Brooklyn Brewery Defender beer and creator of Fool’s Gold, Madame Xanadu, and Batwoman. (92nd Street Y Kaufmann Concert Hall)
- 7pm Ron Perlman Book Reading and Signing. Ron Perlman—a Golden Globe-winning actor with starring roles in Hellboy, Drive, Pacific Rim, and Sons of Anarchy—has traveled an offbeat path to showbiz success. His is a tale that demonstrates the power of persistence. Perlman will be discussing and signing his just released book Easy Street (the Hard Way), sharing his inspiring story, and answering all of the tough questions. (Barnes & Noble Union Square)
- 7pm Muppets Vault: Superheroes! Dark Knights! Men of Steel! Fuzzy Frogs?! Worlds collide as Muppet fan website ToughPigs.com presents The Muppet Vault: Superheroes! It’s a show packed with superhero-related clips from Muppety shows and specials both classic and obscure, hand-selected by Muppet geeks and featuring guest stars like Christopher Reeve and Lynda Carter. Not to mention Super Grover! Plus Muppet-themed drink specials, audience participation, cool giveaways, sing-alongs, and more! (Housing Works Bookstore)
Thursday, October 9th
- 7pm Nerdist Writers Panel. Join Danny Strong (The Butler; Hunger Games: Mockingjay 1 & 2), Ales Kot (writer of Marvel’s Secret Avengers; and Iron Patriot and Zero, from Image Comics), and more writers TBA for this special East Coast edition of the Nerdist Writers Panel. For updates on additional panelists, check out the Facebook page. (Housing Works Bookstore)
Friday, October 10th
- 7pm Ask Me Another with Neil Gaiman. Ask Me Another is the rambunctious new live show from NPR and WNYC that blends brainteasers, pub trivia, comedy and music into an evening of hilarity. Host Ophira Eisenberg invites guests and listeners, alike, to stretch their noggins, tickle their funny bones and be serenaded by house musician Jonathan Coulton. This show’s very New York Comic Con-friendly special guest is the one-and-only Neil Gaiman!!! (92nd Street Y Kaufmann Concert Hall)
- 7:30pm An Evening with the Cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Moderated by William Shatner. What could be better than a live conversation with the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation? Pretty much only one thing—if said live conversation was moderated by the original captain. New York Super Week welcomes William Shatner as he leads a panel featuring cast members from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Learn about the final frontier from the actors who had a front row view. This is happening! *Note: Cast members subject to change. (Hammerstein Ballroom)
- 8pm An Evening with Pat Rothfuss and Paul & Storm. An evening custom-built for nerds and geeks of all stripes. Bestselling fantasy author Pat Rothfuss will read from his works, answer questions and tell stories; comedy/music duo Paul and Storm will sing about nuns, chicken nuggets, video games, and an incredibly long song about pirates. (Galapagos Art Space)
- 11pm Rave of Thrones. Winter is Coming… to TIMES SQUARE! The lovely Kristian Nairn aka Hodor from Game of Thrones is coming to Manhattan for the USA debut of Rave of Thrones! Kristian is a seasoned musician who has been DJing and producing for two decades, and is ready to bring his experience behind the decks to NYC! Also, click here to enter into the VIP contest; more info at the event page. *Extra lighting, lasers, projections, decorations, and reinforced sound… costumes encouraged!* With special guests by Zedd Stark & Trance Rayder. (B.B. Kings Blues Club)
- 11pm Singularity & Co and Dances of Vice Present Cosplay After Dark: A NYCC Mirror Universe. A twisted cosplay universe where Walking Dead drink with the denizens of Westeros and Otaku dance with Superheroes of every dimension. Costume contests (including categories for “most accurate,” “best handmade,” and more), awesome prizes, and special guests to be announced. (Singularity & Co.)
Saturday, October 11th
- 8:15pm Director Baz Luhrmann presents a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, with a post-screening discussion of the film with Luhrmann and Susan Sarandon. (IFC Center)
Check out the full list of programming at the New York Super Week website!