Our new hero Doug Brewbaker and two friends spent more than 70 hours constructing their Star Wars-themed entry into Lansing, Michigan’s “Cardboard Classic” race. Brewbaker’s 7-foot, 8-inch-tall AT-AT walker was made entirely of cardboard and tape, and mounted on what could best be described as a cardboard toboggan. The maiden voyage lasted about 15 glorious seconds. We wish we could have seen it in person.
Morning Roundup reluctantly turns its gaze from Hoth toboggans to share links! To other interesting things! Like Ron Moore, a voice crying in the wilderness who wants a return to smart science fiction, news about Amazing Spider-Man 2, and, finally, a tale of transformation! Well, a massive compilation video of Transformers. It’s pretty great.
- Ron Moore talks about Helix, Battlestar, and the fight for intelligent sci-fi!
- Marvel creates the universe we want to live in.
- Amazing Spider-Man 2 has added yet another villain?
- Max Gladstone is not just an author, he’s also a functional nerd.
- Starship designer is pretty high on our list of ideal careers…
- Genre movies and musicals: an unlikely love story.
- Kim Stanley Robinson compares California to a terraformed planet! Which is as good an explanation of California as we’ve ever seen.
- Finally, watch all the transformations! ALL OF THEM!