Last night’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon brought about the debut of a new, Hollywood-powered Halo 4 trailer. Produced by David Fincher (Fight Club, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and directed by Tim Miller (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World), the new CGI/live-action hybrid trailer provides a few hints as to plot direction and also teases the series’ new big bad – after all, Master Chief can only kick Covenant butt for so long until he requires a change of pace.
The trailer indicates that Halo 4 will take a closer look at Master Chief’s past, examining the process of selection, creation, and training that turned him into the Covenant-slaughtering machine he is today. We also get a glimpse at the game’s new enemy race: the Prometheans. If you thought the Covenant was tough, wait until you meet these giant insect-like baddies. Part of the ancient Forerunner race, the Prometheans work together and use their size and speed to devastating effect, injecting a little something new into the series’ combat mechanism.
Halo 4 launches on November 6 for the Xbox 360.
In other gaming news this week, Prey 2 isn’t cancelled… yet, Sleeping Dogs does Triad zombies, and the creators of the Witcher series announce their latest project. Read on!
- The PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale public beta went live this week for PlayStation Plus members and Vita owners, and will be live for everyone next week. If you need a quick refresher, we briefly previewed Sony’s answer to Nintendo’s Super Smash Brothers at PAX earlier this year.
- Human Head developer Nathan Cheever shed some light on the status of Prey 2 this week, claiming that the game is not, as has been oft-rumored, cancelled, but “only in limbo.” Fans of the Blade Runner-esque sequel to Prey will have to wait a little longer to learn the game’s ultimate fate.
- No plans for Halloween? Stay in and play Sleeping Dogs’ upcoming Halloween-themed DLC, Nightmare at North Point. Rumour has it that developer United Front Games is taking a page out of Red Dead Redemption’s Undead Nightmare DLC handbook, so it may be safe to expect a few Hong Kong Triad zombie hordes.
- What will United Front Games do next? Well, that’s up to you – the developers are taking a fan vote as to which Sleeping Dogs DLC will arrive next.
- The new Sim City focuses less so on how to prevent disasters like tornadoes, meteorites, earthquakes, and UFOs from demolishing your city, but moreso on how you can quickly recover from them.
- Diablo III received its 1.0.5 patch this week. It includes changes to defensive game balance, general character tweaking, a player option Monster Power system, and a new gameplay mechanic called The Infernal Machine, which enables gamers to tackle uber versions of game bosses… at the same time.
- A son takes a tour of his father’s boyhood home in L.A. Noire.
- Finally, CD Projekt RED, creators of the award-winning Witcher franchise, have released preliminary details on their next game: Cyberpunk 2077.