It’s hard to believe that only a few years ago we had no notion of how satisfying saying/thinking/writing-in-frosting-on-random-cakes the words “Benedict” and “Cumberbatch” would be. Our lives were a little darker because of this, we’re sure.
The dashing cheek-boney actor and Tor.com patron saint turns 36 today and as a present the Emmy committee has nominated him for the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Movie or Mini-Series award for his work on Sherlock! (Right alongside Martin Freeman’s Supporting Actor Emmy nomination for his role as Watson!) Happy birthday, Benedict Cumberbatch!
In his and Sherlock’s honor, we’re all planning on staying inside, brooding, being anti-social, and compiling all the weird ways Cumberbatch has popped up on the site.
- We loved him in Sherlock and took great pains to screencap his many faces.
- He’s been a medieval tapestry.
- And a wizard:
- We’re getting really confused as to the identity of the villain he’s supposed to be playing in the next Star Trek movie. (Spoilers in this link.)
- He and John Watson make really cute Beatrix Potter-style rabbits:
- We’ve tried to suss out where the mysterious #BelieveInSherlock movement came from.
- And we were positively struck down by his resemblance to the faces made by otters:
- We’ve compared his performance to the other Sherlocks of stage and screen.
- And most recently we’ve celebrated July 4th with him:
Stubby the Rocket is the mascot of Tor.com. We hope that someday Sherlock will solve The Mystery of the Belligerent Rocket.