Was seeing The Avengers in theatres five times not enough of a Marvel fix for you? Now you can play as your favorite X-Man or Avenger in Marvel’s recently announced MMO, Marvel Heroes. The game is being spearheaded by David Brevik, one of the masterminds behind Blizzard’s Diablo series, so don’t be surprised to see similar gameplay elements bleeding over from franchises past into franchises present. Marvel Heroes will follow the increasingly popular free-to-play model, so you’ll be able to get your hands on this latest bit of superhero goodness as soon as it launches.
In other gaming news this week, Aliens: Colonial Marines gets delayed, Unreal Engine 4 is revealed, Oddworld returns, and Diablo III gets you a free sex toy… wait, what?
- Aliens: Colonial Marines has been delayed once more until February 12, 2013. Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford explains why here. In the meantime, you can check out Tor.com’s game preview from last year’s PAX Prime.
- Mass Effect 3‘s voice actors are gathering once more to record the free extended ending DLC, which is set to be released this summer.
- Any old-school gamers out there remember the wonderfully quirky, colorful, and creative 90s platformers that were Abe’s Oddysee and Abe’s Exoddus? Well, Oddworld is returning to video game consoles near you with Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath and Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD.
- Telltale’s The Walking Dead game has hit a million sales. An impressive bounceback for the developers, following the poor performance of Jurassic Park just months earlier.
- The Torchlight 2 beta comes to an end today, so if you haven’t gotten your fix in yet, get it quick. We’re looking forward to seeing how Runic’s hack ‘n slash RPG stacks up to its bigger budgeted elder brother, Diablo III.
- Speaking of Diablo III, Blizzard issued an official apology last week for their server outage fiasco. However, server issues did nothing to prevent Blizzard’s latest from becoming the fastest-selling PC game ever.
- On a related note, a French adult toy retailer is offering… alternative companionship… for significant others who are being neglected by Diablo III-playing partners. Click for +5 Vitality.
- Finally, Unreal Engine 4 was revealed to a select few this past week. Feedback from the demo includes the phrases “mind-blowing” and “breath-takingly realistic”. Developer Cliff Bleszinski believes it to be Epic’s responsibility to push Microsoft and Sony to take true next-gen steps with their consoles by forcing the two console giants to push their hardware limitations, lest they grow complacent. Folks, welcome to the next generation of gaming.