You don’t have time to read all of Tor.com! (We do! But also we’re paid to do it…) So each week we encapsulate the highlights for your idle weekend reading. Art! Original fiction! Book reviews! Really weird things!
Here’s some of what you might have missed this week:
- Otters that look like Benedict Cumberbatch
- 5 things we can’t wait to see in Game of Thrones season 2
- Over 70 pieces of art depicting spring!
- Why Buck Rogers should be the next pulp hero to return
- Katniss, feminism, and symbolism in The Hunger Games
Head below to find out more!
Cool Stuff on Our Radar:
- These otters look like Benedict Cumberbatch
- Over 70 pieces of art about the spring! Picturing Spring: An Equinox Celebration curated by Irene Gallo
- It’s a secret club that meets only once a year and contains Pulitzer winners, famous authors, and Neil Gaiman. Go inside the Baker Street Irregulars with Lyndsay Faye
- Turns out the Joker, Darth Maul, etc. are scarier with even more colorful faces: Supervillians made more super with a splash of color.
- What do you read after The Hunger Games? We’ve got 5 new series for you to pick from.
- Someone built a working scientific calculator. Out of Minecraft blocks.
- Does a 20+ volume vampire history epic sound daunting? It’s actually quite rewarding. Just start here.
- Download Free Wallpaper from The Shadow Rising Ebook
- We’d watch this ten times: Toy Story/Jurassic Park mash-up
- Wonder Girl, Supergirl, and Batgirl team up as Super Best Friends Forever debuts!
- Turns out the Millennium Falcon and the Corellian Corvette are the same thing! Read about spaceships that became other spaceships
What We’ve Been Discussing This Week:
- Five Things I Can’t Wait to See in Game of Thrones Season 2 by Theresa DeLucci
- Why Katniss is a Feminist Character (And It’s Not Because She Wields a Bow and Beats Boys Up) by Rachel Stark
- Symbols in The Hunger Games: Katniss, The Mockingjay, and Humanity at Its Best by Teresa Jusino
- Why Buck Rogers Should Be the Next Pulp SF Hero to Make a Comeback by Ryan Britt
- Time Travel in the Second Person. Why is No One Rereading The Man Who Folded Himself? by Douglas Lain
- Kickstarting Order of the Stick by Mordicai Knode
- Mutants Are Not Aliens: On Michael Bay’s TMNT Reboot by Danny Bowes
- Philip Pullman’s Next Book Will Be a Retelling of Grimm’s Fairy Tales
- New Doctor Who Companion is Jenna-Louise Coleman
- Queering SFF Tidbit: 24th Annual Lambda Literary Award Finalists Announced
- Stephen Fry and Ian McKellen Save Hobbit Bar
- Filming on Ender’s Game Begins, First On-Set Photo
Read some original and upcoming fiction!:
- “The Woman Who Shook the World-Tree” by Michael Swanwick
- “Fields of Gold” by Rachel Swirsky
- An excerpt from Dark Shadows: Angelique’s Descent by Lara Parker
- An excerpt from Chrysanthe by Yves Meynard
- An excerpt from Blue Magic by Alyx Dellamonica
- M.A.R. Barker 1929-2012 by Jo Walton
Stubby the Rocket is the voice and mascot of Tor.com. It would do anything to look like an otter that looked like Benedict Cumberbatch.