In the days leading up to Halloween, ghosts, candy, and “sexy” costumes might start pervading your thoughts, but there’s something even more frightening lurking around the corner: monsters! And now Tor.com’s Monster Mash is here!
We’ll be spending the week leading up to Halloween celebrating classic monsters, and then some. After the jump, we’ll let you know what’s in store.
Storytelling is the centerpiece of Tor.com’s Monster Mash, and we’re serving up five pieces of monster fiction over the next five days.
- Monday: In James Morrow’s “Apologue” some very familar creatures come out of retirement to help New York City in a moment of need. Read it right now.
- Tuesday: A future world where zombies are a commodity takes center stage in “The Dead” by Michael Swanwick.
- Wednesday: A horrific composite creature with a long-lived past spooks some locals in Cherie Priest’s “Wishbones.”
- Thursday: A special comic entry from Chip Zdarsky: “Monster Cops.” Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolfman discover Frankie’s past in “The End of Your Arms.”
- Friday: Charles De Lint brings some romance to the Monster Mash with “Trading Hearts at the Half Caffe Cafe.”
We’re also re-watching some classic monster films, while roaring and snarling about our favorite aspects of these terrifying creatures, and giving away monster books leading up to our 24 Books in 24 Hours All Hallows Read giveaway on Halloween!
Stubby the Rocket is the mascot of Tor.com, occasional voice of the staff, and right behind you.