For its 22nd annual media awards, GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) has announced the nominees for its comics award.
- Avengers: The Children’s Crusade, by Allan Heinberg, Jimmy Cheung and others (Marvel)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, by Joss Whedon, Brad Meltzer, Georges Jeanty, Scott Allie and others (Dark Horse)
- Fogtown, by Andersen Gabrych and Brad Rader (DC Comics/Vertigo)
- Veronica, by Dan Parent (Archie Comics)
- X-Factor, by Peter David, David Yardin and others (Marvel)
Buffy and X-Factor are nominees that have shown up on this list before, but the others are new. Buffy was also the 2008 winner. The GLAAD awards have a tendency to lean toward “straight” produced and oriented material with gay characters that are presented well, but they’re still valuable for recognizing the existence of those characters. (And hey, there are actually enough mainstream TV shows and films to populate the other nominee lists now! That’s cool.)