Tor.com Online Privacy Notice
Effective Date: April 30, 2015
We at Macmillan, (“we” or “Macmillan”) respect your concerns about privacy and value the relationship we have with you. This Online Privacy Notice applies to personal information we collect on this website (the “Site”).
This Online Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we collect on the Site, how we may use that information, with whom we may share it, and the choices available to you regarding our use of the information. We also describe the measures we take to safeguard the information, and tell you how to contact us about our privacy practices.
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Information We Collect
- Online Tracking
- Information We Share
- Links to Other Web Sites
- Children’s Privacy
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Your Choices
- Updates to Our Online Privacy Notice
- How to Contact Us
Information We Collect
We may obtain certain personal information (such as name and other contact details) when you choose to provide them through our Site. The types of personal information may include:
- contact information, such as your name, postal address, e-mail address and telephone number;
- month and year of birth;
- username and password;
- personal information you provide on our Site, including profile information provided by registered members of the Tor.com community (such as interests, hobbies, lifestyle choices, and groups with which you are affiliated);
- information contained in member messages sent to other registered members in chat rooms;
- personal information in user-generated content you may provide on the Site (such as comments, photos and essays);
- names and e-mail addresses of friends (if you use “Tell a friend” functionality);
In addition, when you visit our Site, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. The information we collect in this manner includes IP address, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken on our site, and dates and times of website visits.
A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. On this Site, we use two kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies exist only for as long as your browser remains open. Once you exit your browser, they disappear. Persistent cookies, in contrast, last from visit to visit; they remain on your hard drive after you exit your browser. The cookies used on the Site include those which are strictly necessary cookies for access and navigation, cookies that track usage (performance cookies), remember your choices (functionality cookies), and cookies that provide you with targeted content or advertising.
We may use the information we obtain from your use of our cookies for the following purposes:
- to recognize your computer when you visit the website
- to track you as you navigate the website, and to enable the use of any e-commerce facilities
- to improve the website’s usability
- to analyze the use of the website
- in the administration of the website
- to personalize the website for you, including targeting advertisements which may be of particular interest to you.
We also may use “web beacons” on our site. A web beacon, also known as a pixel tag or clear GIF, may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back our service providers’ servers, such as the server of Google Adwords. These web beacons are the technique by which our service providers compile anonymous information about your browsing activity on the Site. For more information, see the discussion under “Online Tracking” below.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Site.
How We Use Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain through the Site to:
- Create and manage your profile;
- offer and provide products, services information to you, including newsletters, music and video downloads, and other content and functionality;
- permit you to participate in blogging, forums, and discussion groups;
- communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
- enable you to send messages (through the member messaging and “Tell a Friend” functions);
- display content on our Site, such as stories, product reviews and photos;
- respond to and communicate with you about your requests, questions and comments;
- process inquiries and claims we receive in connection with our products and services;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising; analyzing and enhancing our products, services and Site; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- perform data analyses and other processing (including market and consumer research, and trend analysis;
- protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and our policies.
In addition, we use information collected online through cookies, web beacons and other automated means for purposes such as (i) recognizing your computer when you visit the website, (ii) tracking you as you navigate the website, and to enable the use of any e-commerce facilities, (iii) improving the website’s usability, (iv) analyzing the use of the website, (v) administration of the website, and (vi) personalizing the website for you, including targeting content and advertisements which may be of particular interest to you. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Site, identify users of our Site, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time users spend on web pages of our Site, how users navigate through our Site, and how we may tailor our Site to better meet the needs of our users.
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
We use third-party web analytics services on our website, such as Google Analytics. These service providers help us analyze how users use our website. The information collected for this purpose (including your IP address and other information collected by automated means) will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. To learn more about opting out of data collection through Google Analytics, click this link: Google Analytics.
On the Site, we may collect information about your online activities for use in providing you with advertising about products and services tailored to your individual interests. This section of our Online Privacy Notice provides details and explains how to exercise your choices.
To learn more about how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising, click here.
This Site is not designed to respond to “do not track” signals received from browsers.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen on our Site. We use technical measures to prevent collection of information from children under 13. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a visitor under the age of thirteen on our Site, we will delete the information from our records.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
We give you the option of requesting that we not share personal information about you with third parties that are unrelated by common ownership with Macmillan for marketing use. Click here to send us an e-mail with your name and e-mail address(es) if you DO NOT want us to share your personal information with unrelated third parties for their own marketing use.
We also give you the option of requesting that we not use your information for marketing purposes, or share your information with related companies for marketing use. Click here to send us an e-mail with your name and e-mail address(es), if you do not want us to use or share your information with related companies for marketing use.
Please be aware that we are able to effectuate an opt-out only for a specific e-mail address. So, if you have more than one e-mail address or if you have changed your email address, your opt-out request may not be effectuated properly. If you believe you have opted out, but continue to receive e-mails from us, please contact us by one of the means listed under “How to Contact Us”, below, and we will endeavor to resolve the issue.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
How to Contact Us
If you would like to update your contact information, click here.
If you have any questions about our information practices or our products or services, please contact us by:
- Clicking here
- Writing to us at:
Digital Marketing Department
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010
Attention: Digital Marketing Manager