Artist Yaphleen has created some beautiful Studio Ghibli tribute art, painting in a variety of styles to interpret Kiki’s Delivery Service, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. Most of the paintings feature the heroines of the films, and seeing Nausicaaa, Lady Eboshi, and Chihiro grouped together really highlights the way that Miyazaki and his artists have dedicated the last thirty years to creating complex female characters, and fantastical creatures that are at home in any medium.
Today’s Morning Roundup features equally-fantastical Disney princesses, robots doing gymnastics, and dinosaur teeth!
- Disney princesses reinterpreted in historically accurate costumes! Some of these are even better than the originals.
- And as long as we’re talking about female cartoon characters, here’s an 80s explosion!
- Marvel’s Agent’s of SHIELD (we’re not doing the acronym, you guys) will debut on Tuesday, September 24th.
- Neil Gaiman is sending invitations to a mysterious party...at last count we had 68 different outfits that would be appropriate for mysterious Neil Gaiman parties, so we should be fine.
- This robot totally sticks the landing.
- Superhuman pool parties needed superheroic soundtracks, and Matt Fraction and Mike Allred are there!
- The directors and writers for Game of Thrones season 4 have been revealed.
- Scientists may have proved that T-Rex was in fact a predator, by finding a tooth lodged in an Edmontosaur’s tail. Now if only we could find a Cretaceous doorknob with a velociraptor hand...
- This Godzilla poster gets straight to the point, constructing the ur-Kaiju out of rubble.
- Neptune has a 14th moon, that scamp! We propose that it be named “My Entire Life is Thunder.”
- The Indian Ministry of the Environment and Forests officially declared dolphins “non-human persons,” in their ban on captive dolphin shows.
- We don’t just love Edgar Wright for appreciating Cornetto—he’s also the kind of guy who says you don’t have to watch anything to prepare for World’s End, but here’s this three-movie marathon just in case you have six hours free....
- Your tears won’t even have time to get lost in the rain during this 60-second Blade Runner adaptation.
- [SPOILERS] Joffrey cuddles a puppy—er, a vicious DIRE-PUG.
- When chefs write Wolverine comics, you get murderous food-truck vendors.
- Its been roughly 12 hours since we mentioned Syfy’s slew of shark-themed disaster movies. And that’s entirely too long. Luckily, alchemist-of-LEGO Iain Heath has given the world this:
Stubby the Rocket is the mascot of Tor.com and welcomes you to SHIELD level 8, which you will be mopping and restocking the coffee machines on.