Director Bryan Singer has been systematically announcing new casting news and items about the forthcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past film through his Twitter account, and Wednesday evening he dropped another bombshell on us: Peter Dinklage has been cast in the movie!
Singer made no mention of what part Dinklage will be playing, although those familiar with the X-Men comics and the larger Marvel Universe immediately envision Dinklage as Puck, the skilled fighter and acrobat from Canada’s premiere (re: only) superhero team Alpha Flight.
There are pros and cons to Dinklage playing Puck.
- Puck is buddies with Wolverine and constantly needles him. Imagine a Hugh Jackman / Peter Dinklage buddy film inside of X-Men: Days of Future Past. Wolverine and Puck, kicking ass and calling you names. I’d watch the movie if it was only going to be that.
- Puck is a fringe character in the X-Men universe, but if he’s in the film then that means Singer is committed to bringing in lots of interesting cameos from the X-Men and larger Marvel Universe, much as he did to fans’ delight in X-Men 1 and 2. (Colossus!)
- The fastball special potential here is... off the charts, according to my fastball special measuring device (PATENT PENDING).
- Seriously, Puck is a fringe character. You’d eat up time in the movie just trying to explain why he’s important, and he doesn’t really have any cool powers. Or any powers.
- Dinklage’s stature goes hand in hand with his engaging screen presence and this works marvelously when he’s playing a character as complex and multi-faceted as Tyrion Lannister, but Puck is D-list comic relief and a character who invites mockery. That could get very uncomfortable to watch, very quickly, if handled incorrectly.
At this point this is all speculation, and certainly doesn’t dampen my excitement for the Days of Future Past movie.
What other role might Dinklage play, if not Puck? Maybe a new creation? Or possibly...Cable?
Chris Lough is the production manager of Tor.com and thinks they should also cast Joffrey, if only so he can be squished by a Sentinel.