Seattle, Gilded City of Utilikilts, was once again host to thousands of gamers for the annual PAX Prime convention. Thus far, there have been no reports of controversy or rampant sexism, just a ton of cosplay and an exciting batch of new games from some of the industry's biggest (and smallest) studios.
And we got to play some of them.
- There were many show exclusives to be had, but one of the biggest was the gameplay preview of Firefall.
- One of the best live gameplay previews was Naughty Dog's post-apocalyptic The Last of Us. We covered it in more detail here.
- And check out our review of God of War: Ascension and see if you can guess which Tor.com blogger won a free T-shirt for dominating a death match.
- Torchlight 2 made a great showing with impressive gameplay footage and appearing to be right on track for its September 20th release date.
- Less tight was the multiplayer demo for Aliens: Colonial Marines. It was pretty glitchy and in the battle between marines and aliens, players who chose the xenomorph found themselves very outmatched in the arena.
- Put on your Mexican wrestler masks for Guacamelee, the indie platformer from DrinkBox Studios that caused quite a stir at PAX. Not only a vibrant and fun brawling adventure, Guacamelee expertly utilizes the Vita in simultaneous play on the PS3. You know, for the ten Americans that actually own a Vita. Still, we're ready to follow Juan Aguacate into battle.
- Learn more about what went into making the Indie MegaBooth at Polygon.
- Shooting bullets and arrows, off-roading, ziplining and... plant-collecting made the lengthy Far Cry 3 demo a ton of high-octane fun for those who love sandbox games. Ubisoft had arguably the con's best booth stunt, too: The first 100 fans who got their heads shaved into mohawks just like FC3 baddie Vaas recieved a free copy on release day.
- The lines to play Borderlands 2 were too daunting for us to attempt, but fan excitement is reaching a fever-pitch. But no one was shaving their head for a copy.
- GTA II lives on in top-down vintage style with Retro City Rampage for the Vita, complete with awesome music and lots of violence.
- We'll have a more detailed post on Halo 4 soon, but 343 Industries showed off some big things ahead for Master Chief.
- Playstation All-Stars was fun as hell. All of Sony's major exclusive characters are on hand: Sackboy, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Fat Princess, Solid Snake, Ratchet & Clank, and more! Gameplay is exactly similar to that of Super Smash Bros Melee, but this is not a bad thing. In fact, it's a very, very good thing—we're glad they didn't try to reinvent the wheel on this one.
- Cosplay, cosplay and Fallout cosplay feautring a bonus heartwarming marriage proposal.
In somber news, Eve Online Diplomat Sean Smith was one of four Americans killed in the attacks on the Libyan embassy this past Tuesday. Smith worked on IT for the US State Department. He was also a very popular player on the Council of Stellar Management, a fan-elected governing body in Eve. One friend shared some insight into who Sean was, showing that these days, friendships can be formed most anywhere, even flying spaceships online, continents apart. Known in the Eve and Something Awful Forums communities as Vile Rat, both sites are coming together to raise money for a memorial fund. Details will be posted here as they become available. Our thoughts are with his friends and family.