So you have to buy a gift for a lady who likes Batman over Barbie. Tolkien over Twilight. The Eleventh Doctor over Dr. McDreamy. You know that soap set from Bath and Body Works just isn’t going to cut it. Geeky girls need geeky gifts! Which is why I’ve put together a guide to buying the perfect present for the Adama-loving, Carl Sagan-worshipping, comic-book-reading, ladies in your lives.
Having trouble wrapping your arms around what to get your friends and family for the holidays? Turn to your favorite cephalopods for help. Who isn’t romanced by the squiggly arms of a squid or the suckers of a many-limbed sea creature? From neckties, to jewelry, to classic Christmas ornaments, tentacles are wrapping everything in holiday spirit. So embrace the Cthulu, the octopus and the giant, man-eating squid, and get Kraken on purchasing gifts that will inspire many two-armed embraces.
Don’t mess with me or I’ll make the bottom half of your leg disappear.
When Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’s “Grindhouse” hit movie theaters in 2007, I walked out of the theater knowing one day I would figure out how to dress like Cherry Darling for Halloween, machine gun leg and all. Clearly the issue with this costume is not so much in the fabrication of a machine gun as it is in the faked disappearance of a limb from the knee down. How the hell do you vanish a leg from knee to toe?
Easy! Just follow these simple steps.
I love Halloween more than the average nerd. Over the years I have funneled pumpkin buckets full of cash into commissioning costumes that sate my desire for pure celebratory and sartorial excess. But even I get sick of dropping dollars on intricate outfits whose price-per-wear can only be divided by one. I haven’t once purchased a costume that could later be worn out on an average Friday night in NYC.
This weekend I went, for the very first time, to Maker Faire NYC, an assembly of scientists, craftspeople and makers of random (mostly nerdy) things. Held at the The New York Hall of Science, exhibitors and vendors filled the indoor learning center and spilled out onto the surrounding fields and parking lots, populating the space with rocketships, game-controller-operated slingshots, and giant Rube Goldberg models. In the spirit of the event, Mother Nature handmade perfect weather for the occasion, setting the stage for a perfect indoor/outdoor geek out.
- Leah Schnelbach Push the Button, Patton! 3 hours ago
- Alexandra Pierce Aurora Australis: Awards, Movies, Books, and Peace 3 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye Sweepstakes! 4 hours ago
- Alex Brown The Walking Dead Season 6 Midseason Finale: “Start to Finish” 4 hours ago
- Caitlyn Paxson Science and Swashbuckling: A Daughter of No Nation by A.M. Dellamonica 5 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin The First Second of Eternity. Doctor Who: “Heaven Sent” 6 hours ago
- Tansy Rayner Roberts Jessica Jones is Her Own Worst Enemy 6 hours ago
- The First Second of Eternity. Doctor Who: “Heaven Sent” 15 mins ago on
- Jessica Jones is Her Own Worst Enemy 18 mins ago on
- The First Second of Eternity. Doctor Who: “Heaven Sent” 31 mins ago on
- Return of the Ham. Watching Return of the Jedi for the First Time 38 mins ago on
- The Walking Dead Season 6 Midseason Finale: “Start to Finish” 1 hour ago on
- The First Second of Eternity. Doctor Who: “Heaven Sent” 1 hour ago on
- Return of the Ham. Watching Return of the Jedi for the First Time 2 hours ago on