The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) have announced the winners of the 2013 Nebula Awards, the Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation, and the Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy.
Tor.com was honored to be represented in the novella category by Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages for ‘‘Wakulla Springs’’ (edited by Patrick Nielsen Hayden), and by Veronica Schanoes for ‘‘Burning Girls” (edited by Ellen Datlow). Both novellas can be read for free in the above links.
Congratulations to the winners and all the honorees!
Winners appear in bold.
- Winner: Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, Karen Joy Fowler (Marian Wood)
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman (Morrow; Headline Review)
- Fire with Fire, Charles E. Gannon (Baen)
- Hild, Nicola Griffith (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
- The Red: First Light, Linda Nagata (Mythic Island)
- A Stranger in Olondria, Sofia Samatar (Small Beer)
- The Golem and the Jinni, Helene Wecker (Harper)
- Winner: ‘‘The Weight of the Sunrise,’’ Vylar Kaftan (Asimov’s 2/13)
- ‘‘Wakulla Springs,’’ Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages (Tor.com 10/2/13)
- ‘‘Annabel Lee,” Nancy Kress (New Under the Sun)
- ‘‘Burning Girls,’’ Veronica Schanoes (Tor.com 6/19/13)
- ‘‘Trial of the Century,’’ Lawrence M. Schoen (lawrencemschoen.com, 8/13; World Jumping)
- Six-Gun Snow White, Catherynne M. Valente (Subterranean)
- Winner: ‘‘The Waiting Stars,’’ Aliette de Bodard (The Other Half of the Sky)
- ‘‘Paranormal Romance,’’ Christopher Barzak (Lightspeed 6/13)
- ‘‘They Shall Salt the Earth with Seeds of Glass,’’ Alaya Dawn Johnson (Asimov’s 1/13)
- ‘‘Pearl Rehabilitative Colony for Ungrateful Daughters,’’ Henry Lien (Asimov’s 12/13)
- ‘‘The Litigation Master and the Monkey King,’’ Ken Liu (Lightspeed 8/13)
- ‘‘In Joy, Knowing the Abyss Behind,’’ Sarah Pinsker (Strange Horizons 7/1 – 7/8/13)
Best Short Story
- Winner: ‘‘If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love,’’ Rachel Swirsky (Apex 3/13)
- ‘‘The Sounds of Old Earth,’’ Matthew Kressel (Lightspeed 1/13)
- ‘‘Selkie Stories Are for Losers,’’ Sofia Samatar (Strange Horizons 1/7/13)
- ‘‘Selected Program Notes from the Retrospective Exhibition of Theresa Rosenberg Latimer,’’ Kenneth Schneyer (Clockwork Phoenix 4)
- ‘‘Alive, Alive Oh,’’ Sylvia Spruck Wrigley (Lightspeed 6/13)
Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation
- Winner: Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón, director; Alfonso Cuarón & Jonás Cuarón, writers) (Warner Bros.)
- Doctor Who: ‘‘The Day of the Doctor’’ (Nick Hurran, director; Steven Moffat, writer) (BBC Wales)
- Europa Report (Sebastián Cordero, director; Philip Gelatt, writer) (Start Motion Pictures)
- Her (Spike Jonze, director; Spike Jonze, writer) (Warner Bros.)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Francis Lawrence, director; Simon Beaufoy & Michael Arndt as Michael deBruyn, writers) (Lionsgate)
- Pacific Rim (Guillermo del Toro, director; Travis Beacham & Guillermo del Toro, writers) (Warner Bros.)
Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Winner: Sister Mine, Nalo Hopkinson (Grand Central)
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, Holly Black (Little, Brown; Indigo)
- When We Wake, Karen Healey (Allen & Unwin; Little, Brown)
- The Summer Prince, Alaya Dawn Johnson (Levine)
- Hero, Alethea Kontis (Harcourt)
- September Girls, Bennett Madison (Harper Teen)
- A Corner of White, Jaclyn Moriarty (Levine)
Service to SFWA Award was given to Michael J. Armstrong.
Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award was given to Samuel R. Delany.
About the Nebula Awards
The Nebula Awards are voted on, and presented by, active members of SFWA. Voting for the 2013 Nebula Awards was open to SFWA Active members from March 1 through March 30. You can find more information here.
About the Nebula Awards Weekend
The 49th Annual Nebula Awards Weekend was held May 15-18th, 2014, in San Jose at the San Jose Marriott. The Awards Ceremony was hosted by Toastmaster Ellen Klages, and Borderland Books hosted the mass autograph session from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. on Friday, May 16th at the San Jose Marriott. This autograph session is open to the public and books by the authors in attendance will be available for purchase.
For information on obtaining press passes, interviews with nominees, or questions about the event itself, please contact SFWA’s Communications Manager, Jaym Gates, at email@example.com.
Founded in 1965 by the late Damon Knight, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America brings together the most successful and daring writers of speculative fiction throughout the world.
Since its inception, SFWA® has grown in numbers and influence until it is now widely recognized as one of the most effective non-profit writers’ organizations in existence, boasting a membership of approximately 2,000 science fiction and fantasy writers as well as artists, editors, and allied professionals. Each year the organization presents the prestigious Nebula Awards® for the year’s best literary and dramatic works of speculative fiction.