Yesterday marked the announcement of the finalists for the 24th annual Lambda Literary Awards. As the press release says, “The awards, now in their twenty-fourth year, celebrate achievement in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) writing for books published in 2011. Winners will be announced at a Monday evening, June 4th ceremony in New York at the CUNY Graduate Center (365 Fifth Avenue) with an after-party at Slate (54 West 21st Street).”
The Lambda Awards cover a large spectrum of queer fiction and nonfiction, including a category for science fiction, fantasy, and horror publications; this year there are a grand total of 119 finalists across categories, selected from “a record number of nominations.”
- The German, by Lee Thomas, Lethe Press
- Paradise Tales: and Other Stories, by Geoff Ryman, Small Beer Press
- Static, by L.A. Witt, Amber Allure/Amber Quill Press
- Steam-powered: Lesbian Steampunk Stories, edited by JoSelle Vanderhooft, Torquere Press
- Triptych, by J.M. Frey, Dragon Moon Press
This year’s finalists are from a nice spread of small presses, and I look forward to checking them outthe Lambda Awards provide a lovely reading list! Several other categories also includes speculative finalists, most dual-entries from the SF/F/H category, but there are also other books, like Huntress by Malinda Lo in Children’s/Young Adult. Check out the full press release linked above for the other finalists.